The Corpse Bride of Portugal
When the fifteen year old Ines de Castro arrived at court as part of his new wife’s entourage, Pedro, crown prince of Portugal, fell in love. That love blossomed into an illicit affair that scandalized the court and threatened the international relations secured by the prince’s legitimate marriage. Despite his father’s overt disapproval, Pedro and Ines continued the affair, their union producing four illegitimate children.When Pedro’s wife died unexpectedly in childbirth, the King saw to it that Ines was removed from court and sent into isolation in a monastery to prevent any further trouble - but that still did not keep the lovers apart. Pedro followed Ines, and the two lived openly as a couple, to the horror of the King. Finally, he could take it no more, and the King dispatched assassins to kill Ines, and she was captured and decapitated before the eyes of her horrified children. Two years later the heartbroken prince ascended the throne, and, in an act that may indicate just how unhinged he became as a result of her death, Pedro has Ines’ body exhumed, dressed, and placed in the queen’s throne. Allegedly, he then required all of the members of his court to address Ines as his wife, kiss her skeletal hand, and declare their allegiance to the happy couple. Unsurprisingly, the court obeyed. This charming moment is captured in a painting by Pierre-Charles Comte, and hangs in the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lyon. Not pictured is the scene of Pedro ripping the still beating hearts from the chests of two of Ines’ assassins, but we are frankly just fine with that.
Pedro and Ines rest hopefully in peace in the beautiful Monastery of Alcobaca, their matched tombs inscribed with the words “Até o fim do mundo…” or “Until the end of the world…”
• darkling • creepshow • halloween is my valentine's day • christinedaae has returned to queue
• darkling • creepshow • (I should probably streamline my tags someday) • halloween is my valentine's day • christinedaae has returned to queue
New fairytale prints are available in my shop, and there’s free shipping (OMG!) until the 13th!
• Abigail Larson • Goblin Market • come away o human child • darkling • christinedaae has returned to queue
• a type of vampire who has to sleep in her native waters instead of her native soil • mmm • darkling
• blood roses; blood roses • rose in a lily's cloak • Creepshow • darkling • the gothic heroine • christinedaae has returned to queue
• oooh! • creepshow • darkling • candlelight and shadows • christinedaae has returned to queue
i’m a primadonna girl
all i ever wanted was the world
-primadonna girl, marina and the diamonds
(they were always considered sweet and soft, draped in pink and sparkles. and yes, that is what they like. they can bake the most succulent desserts, they wear knitted sweaters and peter pan collars. but who says sweet is always kind? too much sugar makes one sick, after all. they like the demons, they like how easy they bend to their kind words and soft smiles. they won’t miss their fellow humans, and their crowns will be made of flowers and thorns.)
• the dark counterpoint to 'the softhearted' • with a broken heart and flowers in her hair • crowns of flowers and thorns • darkling • i love this SO MUCH